HTML format to improve search engine visibility
Search Engine Ranking depends upon several factors that enhances website’s visibility amongst leading search engines, the process of fine tuning website according to the algorithm is known as Search Engine Optimization (SEO). In order to acquire optimum results each webpage should meet certain criteria that boost its chances to increase online visibility of website. Hence, the HTML format is utmost essential in the development of any webpage as the rich snippet will claim excellent visibility of that specific website for targeted results.
How to Write HTML Codes for Website
Following are the key factors and a checklist to consider when you wish to improve your website’s search engine visibility:
Meta Title for your Site
- Each website should contain the main keyword for the page, followed by a brief description of the page content.
- Aim for 65 characters including spaces. You can go up to 69 characters in total, but try not to exceed this.
- Try to avoid using stop words such as: a, am, an, and, are, as, at, be, by, com, de, en, for, from, how, in, is, it, la, of, on, or, that, the, this, to, was, what, when, where, who, will, with, www, we, you, your, me, mine, my, i.
- The title tag should also be limited to the use of alphanumeric characters, hyphens, and commas.
Meta Description for your Site
- The website should contain information about the page’s content and persuade search engine users to visit your web site.
- It should be between 25 and 35 words in length.
- Aim for 156 characters including spaces which are a standard character limit and try for no more than 160. You can use less if it will read better.
- One can certainly use Google’s Keyword Tool to get exact idea for it: https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool
Meta Keywords for your Site
- Your website should contain between 5-10 keywords or keyword phrases that are also found in page content. Since they are not much helpful but surely give an idea to focus on specific keywords.
- Make Use of H1, H2, H3.. H6 Tags Heading
- Header tags are very important as they are the linkers for the passages and services that are provided by your website.
- One should use at least one H1 and H2 heading tag for the search engines that examine it when scanning your webpage.
The rest of all header tags can be used to form an explicit order which can be understood below:
- H1 > World
- H2 > Continent (North America)
- H3 > Country (United States)
- H4 > State (California)
- H5 > City (Los Angeles)
- H6 > Zip Area
- Content divides in piece of writing, images, videos, infographics, slides etc.,
- One can surely take help of Google Web Designer to create necessary graphics
- Each page must comprise minimum 400 – 450 words
- Content Vs HTML code ratio should be more than 60% – 40%.
Have Global Links
Each webpage of your site should contain inbound as well as outbound links to relevant webpages so search engine spiders can identify each page and consider them in a certain manner. This is a crucial step for the proper indexing and PageRank distribution of your site.
Must Have Robots.txt
One of the essential purpose for html format is to make your site coding easier for search engine robots i.e. googlebot, etc. Robots.txt file will allow crawling and restricting the robots from crawling pages you want to emphasize and you want to hide from system bots.
Must Have Sitemaps
It’s important to use two site maps for your website–an XML version and a static version. The XML version can be created with search engine visibility’s site map tool. The static version should sit on a static HTML page and contain links to every other page.
- You may use sitemap Generator: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com
Make wise use of robots.txt
It’s important that search engine spiders find your ROBOTS.TXT file that guides spiders to pages and directories you want scanned and denies entry to protected areas of your site.
Make Unique Content
Quality content is King, keeping this in mind at all times concentrate on content because search engines treat web sites as a grouping of pages and not a single entity, each page on your site should be unique so that the tags and content differ between each page. Doing so increases the number of pages that will rank.
Use Proper Image Tag/ Alt Tag
Each page should include a relevant image with a roper image tag. This makes your page more visually appealing and enables search engines to catalog the image.